Pages

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Too Much Computer Support, Not Enough Exercising!

 Welcome to my blog, which is mostly meant to keep me on track and motivated for the upcoming Triathlon season (in 5 months). I work full time as an IT Business Analyst, and I noticed a couple years ago that sitting at a computer all day every day tends to gain you a bunch of weight, so I joined my local gym and started to enjoy weight lifting and cardio. In about august of 2010 I was able to run 5km without too much effort, so what did I do? I signed up for my first ever race of 10km, the Audi's Best Buddies Challenge.I finished in 295th place in 1h00m46s, not too bad for my first race, but I was hooked. After this race it turns out I had cracked my foot, and couldn't run for 5 weeks, this sucked big time as I was dying to do some running..eventually my foot healed I was able to run again. I signed up for one more race that year, Burlington's 5k Santa Race, approximately 3,000 race in Santa suits, this was a blast, but unfortunately I hurt my knee in this run and again couldn't run for 4 weeks while I did Physio.


After I recovered this time, I read a book called Born to Run, which convinced me to toss my runners and get a pair of Vibram KSO's, I ran in nothing but these for all my races in 2011, and haven't had an injury yet.

In 2011 I ran in 1 Sprint Triathlon, 2 Try-A-Tri triathlons, a Warrior Dash, and a Zombie run (best race yet).. all of which I'll detail in other posts.

Currently I've started back in my training for the 2012 season, I want to compete in Olympic Triathlons, and a Tough Mudder or two, so I figure I better get an early start, and hopefully this blog keeps my training and nutrition honest!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Born to Run! But I didn't toss my running shoes, I was scared to in the middle of an IM build. Scared of injury...So cool that it has worked so well for you, I have a friend who it also has been great for! But I do go back and forth between more minimalist shoe and my normal one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me start by saying woohoo, someone read my blog! haha, I just put it up yesterday (backdated some posts).

    I actually just purchased some Merrell Trail Gloves, which are further away from barefoot running then the Vibram's, but still quite minimalist, and I'm loving them for the cold Canadian winter so far, my toes don't go numb when running :)

    I really like your blog by the way, reading about your Ironman right now, I can only hope to do that soon!

    ReplyDelete